The 100C features
- All removable cables
- USB power and control
- Single button moderator control
View details »
Setup requires just a few connections
The timer is very easy to use and is controlled by a single button
moderator control pendant.
100C Knowledge Bowl Timer
The 100C is used in Knowledge Bowl competition to determine which
team responded first second and third and then to measure the time
for a team to provide their answer.
The 100C has several new features to improve functionality and
Removable cables - All 100C cables are now connectorized.
This not only removes one of the most common points of failure,
but also allows for easily replacement and packing:
- Bars - The bars are now equipped with a modular connector
compatible with telephone or Ethernet cables.
- Power and Control - Power is now supplied using a standard
- Moderator Control - The moderator control plugs in with to
a standard 1/4" phone connector
Five second countdown - Assisting the moderator to time the interval from the end of asking the question and waiting for a team to respond, the five second countdown timer will beep if no team has responded in the allowed time.
Single button moderator control - The moderator can now control the 100C with a new streamlined single button control. A single click will start the five second countdown (above) before a team has responded or reset the clock once a question is active. A click and hold will reset all in preparation for the next question.
The 100C kit consists of:
- 100C main unit
- Three team response bars in storage tube
- Three 14' modular cables
- Single button moderator control
- USB power supply and 10' micro-USB cable
- Plug in the Moderator switch cable to the round
jack on the back of the timer
- Put each of the three bars on a table for each team and then
connect each bar to the back of the timer using a modular
- Connect the micro-USB cable from the 100C to the USB
power supply and then plug the power supply into a wall
The timer is very light-weight and the cables weigh more than
the timer does so a book or a piece of gaffer’s tape on the
cables may prevent the timer from sliding around.
The connection to the 100C is standard USB so as an alternative
to the wall mounted power supply, you can also power the timer
with a USB battery pack or laptop's USB port.
Front Panel Display
The front panel display has five digits - a two digit time display
on the left and three team displays to the right.
When the timer powers up, it takes a number of actions:
- Scans the local environment for electrical noise and displays
a rotating pattern while doing so. If environmental noise is
detected, the timer will display a notice for a few seconds:
- On the left most two digits, a value between 1 (low level
of noise) and 3 (severe noise).
- On the three team digits, a value between 1 (low level
of noise) and 9 (severe noise) to assist the moderator
in determining the source of the interference.
- 1 4 1 1
– low level interference likely near bar "A".
- 3 4 5 9
– severe interference likely near bar "C".
- After checking for noise, checks that the team bars are
– (lower case U) – the timer measurement indicates that
the bar is unplugged.
– (upper case L) – the timer measurement indicates
that the cable to the bar is too long.
– (decimal point) – the timer measurement indicates
the bar is connected correctly.
- . u u L
– The timer is ready and detects that team A and B
are unplugged and team C cable is too long.
- . . . .
– The timer is ready and detects that all the team's
bars are properly connected.
The moderator control manages all the functions of the timer.
The moderator pendant switch can do three things:
When the timer is idle, a single click will start
the five second countdown timer.
When the timer is active (a team has buzzed in),
single click will
If another team is waiting to answer,
reset the clock and advance the flashing
indicator to the next team
- If no team is waiting to answer, stop the clock.
Note that if a second or third team has not
yet buzzed in, they can still buzz in and
the clock will restart and flash their
- A press and hold will clear both the clock and
place displays and is ready for the next question.
The 100C timer is continually improving and each software version
adds new features and services.
To determine the software version, press and hold the moderator
control button when powering up the timer.
The software version will be displayed on the front panel display
for five seconds before continuing on with the normal power up
When reporting any troubles, please include the version along with
any other symptoms.
The 100C is now equipped with a micro-USB connector for both power
and control. Power can be provided by an wall mounted power
supply (included), a USB battery pack (for mobility) or a laptop.
The USB port, when connected to a PC, can also control the 100C as
well as provide the moderator with an additional view of the front
For more details,
download the 100C Application Note (PDF)